Sunday, December 28, 2008

How do I display content from my organizations' portal in users' "My Site"?

An easy solution...
By Nimrod Geva

MOSS 2007, as I'm sure you all know, enables the creation of a personal site for every user in the organization (called 'My Site').

"My Site" can be used as the user's personal desktop and as an efficient and effective networking tool.

Recently a customer asked me she could display company announcements/news in each employees "My Site".

At first I wanted to answer - "Simply use the Content Query Web Part to aggregate news (or any other list type) from other site, in other words just use it to display the company news in all personal sites." But then I realized that such a glib answer would be misleading. Every "My Site" is actually a separate Site Collection. The Content Query web part aggregates list items within the scope of Site Collection but what about aggregating data located in the portal (one site collection) into the users' personal site (each deployed as a separate site collection)??

I searched for 3rd-party roll-up web parts and found several– all look great but even so – cannot aggregate data located on another site collection. So – KWizCom developed an easy solution. While we were at it we added some cool JavaScript and AJAX effects such as: columns drag & drop (just like in outlook) and in-place editing (no page refresh!!), and added some cool skins.

The result is our new KWizCom SharePoint List Aggregator which is the only roll-up web part that can aggregate data located in another site collection!

KWizCom's SharePoint List Aggregator can aggregate different data types, for example: to list name - all lists that begin with "Project_". This is much more flexible than the Content Query web part that can aggregate data from lists of the same Type/Content Type.

Last but by no means least – there is no need for MOSS (Content Query web part is available only in MOSS) – KWizCom's aggregator web part work also on WSS 3.0 !

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there, we've purchased a license for the KWizCom List Aggregator web part but I'm having trouble aggregating list items across multiple site collections. Ideally we'd like to make the webpart availible in our users MySite. I've logged a support ticket directly with the KWizCom support team but they haven't been able to resolve the issue. Can you provide me with any information that might enable me to aggregate items across multiple site collections please,

regards,

KP

Anonymous said...

Same problem here. It works wonderfully within a site collection but not across site collections. Since its one of their main selling points you'd think they would make it clear on how to do this, if there's a bug, etc. Our experience so far is not sitting well for future use of this company's products...

Shai Petel said...

Hi guys,

I think there is something that needs to be clear about our aggregator.

It aggregates information from one site collection only.

It can be the current one, or a remote one within the same farm, but only one at a time.

It does not need any special setup, just give the URL (server relative or full) of the site you want to aggregate and choose scope - site, site and sub sites, or the entire site collection.

If you need more help on that try our support email or live support chat on our site.